I'm sadden to hear that because Adam had been trying to start his own business with his girlfriend. And now that he is unable to drive, that will hurt his ability to run his business and support his child.
One of three accused in alleged Island racist attack, in jail facing other charges
COMOX VALLEY, FEBRUARY 19, 2010
One of three men accused of attacking another man in a McDonald's parking lot last summer will remain in custody until his charges are dealt with.
Adam David Huber (24) was denied bail on Monday after being arrested on Friday for impaired driving, refusing to blow and driving while prohibited.
Huber and two other men, David Samuel White and Robert William Roy Rodgers, are accused of assaulting Jay Philips on July 3 in an attack that was caught on YouTube and broadcast around the world. There were allegations of racism since Phillips is black and the three accused are white.
The ensuing media firestorm put the Comox Valley in the international spotlight for all the wrong reasons. The fight was widely condemned, with a large rally held by local residents days later and statements denouncing the incident from MP John Duncan, Mayor Greg Phelps and other local politicians.
Some have characterized the attack as being racially motivated. The Crown has previously said that, should they get a conviction, they would then make a decision as to whether or not a stiffer sentence should be sought under Canada's hate crime legislation.
All three men have pleaded not guilty. A three-day trial is scheduled to start on Oct. 4.
Huber's arrest on Feb. 12 marks his third since the alleged attack. He had previously been picked up for impaired driving and driving while prohibited on Nov. 13. He was arrested again on Jan. 8 for breaching his release conditions. Huber also came under fire from the local provincial court judge when he was twice late for court appearances.
All told, Huber now faces one charge of assault, five breaches, two impaired driving charges, two charges each of driving while disqualified and driving while prohibited and one charge for refusing to provide a sample of his breath.
Huber will remain in custody until his trial in October, barring an appeal of the bail decision, a change in plea or some other circumstance that allows the court to deal with the various charges earlier.
He is next expected in court on Feb. 25 for a first appearance on the most recent charges and to consult counsel on the remaining charges.